Saturday, December 1, 2012

Upside down caramelized apple sponge cake

Once upon a time, well actually, last week, I watched  this show called Baking Mad with Eric Lanlard.  He prepared an upside down berry sponge cake.I knew I had to give it a try!

I found the perfect opportunity to bake it one day when I couldn't sleep and was up since 3am. I got online looking for something to do while up, and after a few seconds of updating my status to sleepless in my Facebook account, the answer was: BAKE and so I did!
I followed the recipe which you can find here : Upside down Berry sponge cake 

The cake was delicious, the caramelized fruits had flavored the cake with all its juices. Yummy!
I was happy of the outcome and the look was great... So, I went to work leaving my cake to cool down and hoping to find it when back, but there was nothing left....
I'm assuming they liked it!.



I thought I could make it again since it was such a success and I had a couple of friends coming over today. I ran to the supermarket with no luck, only saw pears and apples. So, that's how it turned out to be an Upside down caramelized apple sponge cake.

I sliced 3 apples and cooked in 5 tbspn unsalted butter and 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon.
Finally, I placed them on the tin that was previously drizzled with golden syrup and finally added on top caramel till covered.

I let it cool for about 20 minutes, then I worked on the batter. I took the original recipe and instead of adding vanilla, I added cinnamon about 1 tablespoon.

And finally, I put the batter on top of the apples and baked till done!

Caramel
 
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
1½ tbsp. light corn syrup
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
 
Preparation
 
Put the sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir just to combine the ingredients and then put the pan over medium-high heat. 
Heat, without stirring , until the caramel turns deep amber, 5-10 minutes. Lower the heat a bit and, standing back from the saucepan add the cream and butter.
 
This recipe yields about 2 cups of caramel. You can store it in your fridge for a month.




No comments:

Post a Comment