Sunday, February 26, 2012

Margarita Cake


Remember what was going to be my project? 
Well it changed a bit.

I went to the store with the good intention of buying the torch for my next project, but in between got a Daisy Marguerite Cutter Plunger , and since I didn't find the torch... might as well delay my project just a tiny bit.

 So with this new excuse, what to do? what to do? I decided to decorate a cake with fondant. My first time alone. The first time I decorated one I was 15 and I was helping my mom.

 

For a 16 cm  round cake, I used a recipe that I loved, not sure where I found it now.

 - 250 ml full fat yogurt - I used greek yogurt
- 325 gr flour
- 150 gr sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 2 oranges
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 160 ml oil

Preparation
Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl : egg, yogurt, oil, sugar and orange juice
Then, in another bowl mix flower, baking soda, baking powder, salt, orange zest.
Finally add the wet ingredients to the dry by batches. Mix until they are combined. Do not overbeat!
Bake till done at 175 C,  it will take from 45 minutes to an hour.

When the cake was cool, I sliced it in two and brushed a sirop which I made with water and sugar to moist the cake. I added then a layer of dulce de leche and put the cake back together.

I then did a simple vanilla buttercream, the American type - which I used to even out the entire cake and as a glue for the fondant.
 
My helper insisted in decorating some cupcakes herself. 


Finally, I rolled the white fondant and covered the cake. This was more difficult that I thought. My pin roll was too small and was leaving several marks in the fondant. Another step that I found rather difficult was trying the cake not to bulge and of course the elephant skin!
I didn't let the results discourage me, being a perfectionist I can become rather negative ... so I continued and tried to save the cake and finished decorating with the flowers I had done previously.


 




 And of course, we couldn't miss the "feliz cumpleaños" part. No, it was not her birthday, but she loves the singing and blowing the candle.



et voilà! after all that work... I think I deserve a delicious piece of cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment